I just signed a contract with California Pools & Landscape. What happens now?
Frequently Asked Questions
- When and how do I pay my deposit?
- Can I finance my deposit?
- How can I pay for my project?
- When is my next payment due?
- When do you start on my project?
- Okay, I’ve provided my deposit. What’s next?
- Am I still working with my Project Manager or are they done with their portion of the project?
- I haven’t made any materials and/or plant selections for my project yet, when does that happen?
- What is the portal?
- When can I get on the portal?
- Do you apply for approval from my HOA?
- What are barriers and do I need them?
- What can I do to make the process go as fast as possible?
- When does construction start?
When and how do I pay my deposit?
When you sign your contract the deposit is due.
How you pay the deposit depends on how you sign the contract. If you’re in a design center, we can accept the deposit at the front desk. If you electronically approve the contract, you will receive a call from one of our administration staff.
For your convenience, we accept a variety of payment options for your deposit. We can accept a check, debit or credit card, or electronic check. Please note that for the deposit there is a processing fee for a card transaction.
Can I finance my deposit?
Yes, you can finance your deposit!
However, with a signed contract and a paid deposit, we can start on the construction plans and permits while you go through the loan process. This will help you get your pool dug up to a month sooner.
All loans offer 100% financing, so the deposit would be refundable once the loan is funded and those funds are released to CPL.
How can I pay for my project?
There are three main ways to pay:
- Paying by personal check
- Financing via Second Mortgage Loan, HELOC, or Unsecured Pool Loan
- Including the pool in a new mortgage with an escrow holdback
If you plan to use personal funds and pay with a debit or credit card, we recommend using a personal check or electronic check instead to avoid the 3% processing fee. You can learn more about financing and escrow holdbacks at our Learning Center.
When is my next payment due?
The next time we will need a payment from you is the day of your pool dig. Our payment schedules goes as follows:
- Down Payment
- Day of Excavation - 30% of the project total
- Day of Shotcrete - 30% of the project total
- Day of Decking - 30% of the project total
- Prior to Interior Finish - 10% of the project total
This payment schedule may not apply if you included the project in your first mortgage or utilized certain loan programs through California Pools.
When do you start on my project?
Okay, I’ve provided my deposit. What’s next?
Now we will move into the processing phase of the project, which usually takes around 6-12 weeks depending on the scope of work. During this stage, we draft your AutoCAD construction plan, apply for all relevant city permits, prepare for any necessary demo/pre-grade work, and schedule layout.
This timeline may vary based on project scope, municipality, engineering requirements, and/or extent of demolition. There may be a lull in communication, so there’s no need to worry if you don’t hear from us often within this timeframe. Most of this work is behind the scenes on our part. Once that is completed, your Project Manager will be reaching out to you regarding approvals and the next steps needed to move into construction.
Am I still working with my Project Manager or are they done with their portion of the project?
You will be introduced to a few different team members throughout your project, but your Project Manager will always remain your Project Manager. They’re a part of a 3 person team that helps facilitate the rest of your project throughout construction.
- Project Manager (PM): They are your designer and point of contact throughout the designing and processing phases. They may not be in contact with you every day but they are always available to answer your questions or address any concerns.
- Scheduling Manager (SM): Their focus is communication with you regarding your project’s schedule. They will be your “go-to” person for construction scheduling, information, and coordinating your project’s payments. You’ll receive a lot of emails and portal messages from them with valuable project updates.
- Construction Manager (CM): They maintain our high-quality construction standards on site and direct our crews that will be working on your project.
I haven’t made any materials and/or plant selections for my project yet, when does that happen?
What is the portal?
MyCPL Customer Portal app is your primary source for project status updates and milestones. It will allow you to follow our phase by phase schedule that is updated throughout processing and construction.
The dates shown are tentative and can be moved forward or backward as scheduling gets adjusted as is typical with construction. The best feature is the direct messaging with your CPL Team.
This is the most efficient way to communicate with the entire team so that we can answer questions and respond quickly to any concerns. The app will also allow you to access all plans, change orders, and notify you of all upcoming payments.
When can I get on the portal?
Do you apply for approval from my HOA?
This is where you come in!
Once we have your construction plans drafted and material selections finalized, you will need to submit those documents to your HOA for review. The majority of the time, that is all they need to approve your project. If you need anything else or need to make changes, please contact your Project Manager.
What are barriers and do I need them?
Pool safety barriers are devices that prevent easy access to your pool to provide an extra layer of security. Check here to see if your city requires barriers.
It is the customer’s responsibility to install proper barrier mechanisms per city code unless you’ve contracted California Pools to install these barriers for you.
What can I do to make the process go as fast as possible?
As we progress through the processing stage of the project there are checks and balances implemented throughout. It is imperative that when we need approval or action on your part to continue, that we receive it in a timely manner so there are no delays as a result.
For instance, if you have landscaping on your project, we will need you to review the landscape plan, approve it, or speak with your designer to make changes to then get approval. This will allow us to continue forward with processing and permits.
Another example of where your approval is time-sensitive is layout. Once your construction plans are approved, we will schedule a layout where you can see where your pool, spa, deck, and hardscape features will be located in your yard. We will need your approval of the placement in your yard for your project to be released for construction.
Again, we can always adjust as needed as we want you to love your pool.
When does construction start?
Construction starts once these items are completed:
- Layout Approval
- Pre-Construction Review
- Blue Stake
- Jobsite Set Up
- Final Project Reconcile
Your MyCPL Customer Portal app will have the details and expected dates for those project milestones. Once we have those items checked off, excavation will be scheduled and construction on your project begins!